Access to and overview of available services and where to find information

How services are provided

Some services are provided by what are known as ‘statutory organisations’. This includes NHS Brent – also known as the PCT – and Brent Council.

Some health services are provided by statutory providers. This includes those provided via dental surgeries though dentists are all independent providers. Dentists provide treatment on the NHS as well as privately. So, if you want to find a dentist which provides treatment on the NHS, contact NHS Brent, including by searching on their website.

Services which enable you to deal with physical and mental health issues are broadly divided into primary and secondary services.

Primary care includes all those services provided via GP surgeries by a range of staff.

This includes, for example:

  • dealing with any physical health problems dealing with mental health issues
  • screening for and managing particular health conditions such as diabetes
  • preventing illness, for example, by providing smear tests and breast checks
  • family planning and contraception children’s health, including vaccination blood and other testing

NHS Brent also provides help to:

  • find a GP
  • stop smoking
  • eat healthily and lose weight
  • improve health, for example, to reduce coronary heart disease

To find out more, including to find a GP, contact:

 Wembley Centre for Health and Care (WCHC)

116 Chaplin Road Wembley HAO 4UZ

020 8795 6001

Full information is given on this website about GP services provided by different surgeries. Leaflets are also available, including in different community languages.

If you are not registered with a GP practice, you can simply use the GP Walk In Clinic at Wembley Centre for Health and Care, 116 Chaplin Road, Wembley HA0 4UZ.

Brent Council is responsible for services such as:

  • services in relation to community safety
  • local libraries
  • local leisure facilities such as leisure and sports centres
  • in relation to children and young people, including nurseries, childrens centres, schools and youth centres
  • social care in relation to disabled people with physical disabilities, learning disabilities and older people and those using services to deal with mental health issues
  • local environment such as street cleaning, rubbish and recycling collection, building planning and improving local neighbourhoods
  • access to housing
  • further education services

Access services provided by Brent Council

All services are accessed via:

The One Stop Shop based at Brent Town Hall, Forty Lane, Wembley HA9 9HD.

Contacting Brent Council’s One Stop Shop will enable you to find out what is available and how to access it.

020 8937 1200 

Accessing the IAPT service in Brent

Access to the talking therapies service known as IAPT is only through a GP. To find out more about the service and what it offers, have a look at the website.

Specialist mental health services

As described previously, most people simply see their GP to deal with mental health issues but sometimes it is felt that individuals need either more specialist help or more of a range of services. In Brent, these secondary mental health services are provided by a partnership between Central and North West London (CNWL) Foundation Trust and Brent council.

If you need access to these services, your GP will refer you. You would first meet with the Assessment and Brief Treatment Team who would meet with you to find out what you need help with and confirm whether you need to use the kinds of services that Brent’s mental health services provides. If not, they can provide information about other services that could be helpful. If they think you need to use specialist mental health services, they can refer you to the correct part of the service.

Brent’s mental health services provides a range of help and support via different teams to enable you to deal with mental health issues and move towards recovery. This includes:

Range of approaches, treatments and staff

A range of staff with different skills and expertise provide support. This includes psychiatrists, psychologists, psychotherapists, occupational therapists, community psychiatric nurses, social workers and support workers. Medication is one approach but you can also get access to psychological therapies as well as creative therapies such as art, dance movement, drama therapy and help to develop your life skills or stay in or get back into employment. Brent’s mental health services can also provide practical help and support to enable you to do whatever you need to in order to move towards recovery. Staff can also support you to find information about other organisations and resources that might be helpful.

Access to and overview of available services and where to find information

Support for a period of time

The Assessment and Brief Treatment Team can work with you for a period of time to enable you to deal with mental health issues.

Support over a longer period

If you need more of a range of services the Community Recovery Team would provide you with support.

Help to deal with a crisis

If you need help to deal with a crisis the Home Treatment team can provide you and anyone involved in your support network with intensive support over a number of weeks to enable you to move towards recovery. This team aims to enable people to stay out of hospital – or to leave hospital as quickly as possible.

Access to hospital

If it is felt that you need to go into hospital, for example, in order for you and others to feel safe or get access to more intensive treatment this would be provided at Park Royal Centre for Mental Health near Central Middlesex Hospital. There are a range of wards available, including a Mother and Baby Unit and Mary Seacole Ward which provides services to people experiencing dementia, for example.

Access to particular teams or services

You can get access to, for example, the Early Intervention Service if you are between 14 and 35 years of age and feeling particularly threatened by others or are hearing or seeing things others don’t.

Children and young people are provided with services via the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) while the Healthy Ageing Service provides services to older people. Services are also available for people having difficulties with using drugs and/or alcohol and to people with learning disabilities. Further information about these specialist services is included in the relevant sections.

Where to find information and finding organisations that can help

There are lots of sources of information available. Details for NHS Brent and Brent council are given above. You can find out more about services provided by Brent’s mental health services by going

to the website of Central and North West London (CNWL) Foundation Trust on:

020 8208 7200/7201 

NHS Choices is a statutory organisation that provides lots of information about using health services in this country which you can find out about via their website.

Community organisations

Community organisations provide a whole range of services such as those included in this information resource. You do not need to be referred but can generally contact these organisations yourself direct.

It is community organisations that generally provide services such as those for particular communities or groups of people, for example, or those that aim to enable people to deal with life experiences or issues that are contributing to their mental health issues. Community organisations are independent organisations, often set up by communities themselves, and include faith organisations, for example, as well as providing services that enable people to improve their wellbeing in a whole range of ways.

To find out what local organisations can help, you can search the web – at local libraries, for example – using particular key words if you don’t know the names of the organisations. Some information is included in this information resource about the kinds of organisations that are available. Organisations often have their own websites, details of which are included here. Phone numbers are also included.

You can also find information particularly in relation to mental health from organisations like national Mind and other groups that provide information and services in relation to specific diagnoses. Some organisations run helplines and details are also included here.